During this blessed month of Ramadan we have been completing an activity a day from the beginning to the end of the month. Day 2 was to make some Special Stuffed Dates.
Dates are an important part of Ramadan. Its is Sunnah to break our fasts with dates as mentioned in the Hadith
Narrated Salman ibn Amir: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: When one of you is fasting, he should break his fast with dates; but if he cannot get any, then (he should break his fast) with water, for water is purifying.
Sunan Abu Dawood – Book 13 Hadith 2348
I find dates are perfect as they are and have never tasted a chocolate covered one and never even imagined a cheese filled one. But I thought this would be a fun and easy activity to do and share with the neighbours to break their fasts.
I usually eat very sweet dates which would be too sweet covered in chocolate. So I bought these especially for this recipe.
On a side note the honey I used was too strong so use a medium strength honey. And make sure you buy a good quality chocolate preferably in recyclable packaging, think Green & Blacks, Lindt and Magnum.
In preparation 15 minutes before take 20 almonds and cover them in boiling water. After 15 mintues they will be easily peelable. Peel the skins off and keep aside for decoration.
Take a handful of almonds and grind them in a mixer these will be used for both recipes.
Using a small knife destone 36 dates.
These recipes are simple to make and very child friendly. Show your child the recipe and ask them to collect all the ingredients needed.
Ask them to count out the dates and weigh the ingredients on the scales.
Show your child each step as you go and get them to copy you and learn along the way. Don’t worry about children using knives. Use a small knife and teach them how to use it safely and always under supervision. Its better to teach them how to chop safely rather then them trying it out on their own one day out of curiosity.
Creamy Honey Almond Dates
- 26 Dates
- 4oz Cream Cheese
- 1Tbsp Honey
- 4Tbsp Crushed Almonds
- Make your honey runny by melting it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mix the honey into the cream cheese and stir in the crushed almonds.
- Spoon the mixture into your dates until overflowing.
- Sprinkle crushed almonds as decoration ontop of the dates.
- Keep them in the fridge and take them out 5 mintues before serving.
Nutty Chocolate Dates
- 10 Dates
- 500g Bar of Chocolate
- 4 Tbs crushed Almonds
- 20 Peeled Almonds
- Stuff each date with a peeled almond.
- Break up your chocolate bar into small pieces and melt it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the melted chunks and microwave for another 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Dip your dates into the chocolate and then the crushed almonds.
- Add a peeled almond ontop for decoration.
I really wanted to use some edible gold spray on top but totally forgot to buy it.
You can give your dates to friends, family and neighbours to break their fasts with.
You could use them as table settings by adding a name onto a toothpick and sticking it ontop of the date.
Do you have a favourite date recipe or prefer them as they are?